Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Watership Down

This past week I finished Richard Adams' classic Watership Down. I have to admit that this book took me longer than most to finish. The first half does not move very quickly and the book seems to end several times. To combat this feeling, Adams divides it into several sections, but it still seems to drag on in some spots.

For those who have not read this story, it is like a glorified Peter Rabbit. It follows a group of rabbits who are trying to establish a new home somewhere in England and the adventures they have along the way. While I was reading it, I got a lot of comments about the rabbit on the cover and how people could not believe that a book about rabbits could be interesting. I, however, found it to be a charming book. The world Adams creates is very vivid. He even comes up with a new vocabulary that the rabbits use (example: "elil" = predators, "silflay" = to feed above ground). The depiction of the temperment of rabbits also seems very accurate. One of the main themes of the story is how the rabbits overcome their natural instincts in order to succeed in many seemingly impossible tasks.

Watership Down is famous for providing a allegorical commentary on many issues, such as man's relationship with the state, and the natural tension between friendship and leaderhship. I particuarly enjoyed the development of relationships, especially between Bigwig and Hazel. At first, Bigwig only hesitantly offered his support to Hazel as Chief Rabbit, but over time he learns to trust Hazel's judgment. Bigwig recognizes that although he might be the biggest and strongest of all the rabbits, Hazel is able to take all the individual talents of the rabbits (Blackberry's cleverness, Bigwig's size, Fiver's intuition, etc.) and magnify them to the benefit of all. This relationship culminates in Bigwig's showdown with General Woundwort. Bigwig is injured, but refuses to abandon his post because his Chief Rabbit instructed him to defend the run at all costs. I think this, even more than the dog, is what was the deciding factor in the battle.

I would definitely recommend this book to all those who have never read it. For those who have read it, please comment. There are many other themes, such as the stories about El-ahrairah and General Woundwort's method of governance, that I would love to discuss in greater detail.

3 comments:

  1. It was many years ago when I read it--I guess that I need to look at it again. I remember it similarly to you--I had a somewhat hard time getting into it, but it had a strong ending. I was in college and had a 5 hour bus ride into to Colorado mountains to visit a friend. Watership Down and the scriptures were the only things I brought to read. I also brought a box of vanilla wafers. I can never think of that book without smelling vanilla. I know that isn't the type of response that you were looking for, but the book just wasn't one of those that I was brought back to over and over. One question for you though, how does it compare to the Redwall books?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I think you have taken our book commentary up another notch! I guess I need to get a copy of the book so I can respond to your eloquent post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dood! I loved this book! And there is so much more in it than Dan described. I think that there is also possible to explore what is "human" and what is "animal" within the different colonies. There are some elements of anthropomorphism, but yet the rabbits can basically be animals too. Kinda cool.

    I think that the purpose of Watership Down is different from the Redwall books. I think there is more commentary on life and government in Watership Down, while Redwall is more for entertainment and the continuation of a fictional lore.

    ReplyDelete